Sunday, April 1, 2012

Keep Fighting

     I've decided to post this after much debate. I think it's something that needs to be told, but I also think it's something that could haunt us for a while. So if you are someone who is sensitive to medical things or are scared of severe low blood sugars I would encourage you to use discretion, because unfortunately this is a true story.
     I went camping this past weekend. It wasn't like a normal camping trip it was camping with upwards 900 other people maybe topping 1000 including spectators. I was down the hill at registration helping some of the ladies with paper work and stuff when the dreaded words came across the radio, it didn't stop anybody else in their tracks, but to me I felt my chest tighten and I couldn't breath. A younger male was having a seizure, they needed medics and oxygen asap and let's get a flight for life in the air it looks like a bad one. I sat their helping register another family trying to hide the pain that I felt for this poor man waiting for confirmation he was okay. Then I heard it again, he's got a medical ID let's call for a glucometer. The ID had no info just a phone number and a name. The guy was conscious, but not in any state to respond to questions. I quickly reached into my back pocket and told one of the ladies to grab the radio and tell them I had a way to test blood sugar and just before she did I stopped her. I didn't have strips. I didn't have enough money to go buy more before we left and my mom wouldn't spot me any because, well she doesn't believe me. I only carried my meter so that if something like this were to happen to me they could tell, they would know. The radios went silent, the helicopter landed and they transported the type one diabetic to the hospital. His blood glucose meter and his insulin still sitting in his car at the base of the hill. When I got back up to the top my mom ran over to me. "They were calling for a meter! I couldn't find yours, I took down the bag with the little strip bottles, but they couldn't find the meter!" She realized that day how important it was that we figure out what is causing my blood sugar to drop, she realized that she needed to help buy strips when ever she can because that could have easily been me. I did find out that the man was stable. The cause of the seizure was dehydration, but he also had a bg of 50. He just like me was not approved to carry a glucagon because there was no real evidence that blood sugars would go that low. He'd never passed out before, and he'd never been unconscious. We're all fighting this very scary battle. I don't wear an insulin pump or have to give myself shots, but I respect those who do and I give huge props to those who do, but we're all fighting the fight of blood sugars. We all have those high-five worthy days, and we all have those that was a close call days. We're all going through it, and we're all going to get through it. That man showed me all the more that I need to fight with all I have to get a proper diagnosis and have people help me figure out the right ways to prevent something like that from happening. That man also showed my mother how much she had to learn and how much more she could be of assistance in my fight. I just ask you all to keep fighting, and to pray for that man. This is our fight, and We. Will. Win.

Keep your head up and keep FIGHTING,
Ellie <3

No comments:

Post a Comment