Tuesday, April 17, 2012

I Got Yo Back

Everyday, unless I stay after, like clock work I get off the bus at the bus stop and begin my journey home. And everyday like clock work our same UPS man is making his daily rounds through our neighborhood delivering packages and what not. And almost once a week he delivers something to my house and every time, I'm the one that signs for it.
It all started a while ago, we would cross paths at intersections and what not and we were always friendly with a wave and a smile, but he would always keep driving his route. Day in and day out this was our routine, and somehow it just sorta kept happening exactly this way. One day I was walking home on a low and was drinking my juice box and keeping to myself, and like every other day I could hear his truck coming down the street and turned around to wave at him. Except this time I lost my balance because I was dizzy, I quickly regained my footing, but didn't slip the awkward gaze that he gave me today as he drove by. 45 minutes later I was back in range and heard him pulling up to our driveway. I raced out to grab what ever he was delivering this time. Normally we'd say hello I'd sign and then we'd part our ways. This time we sung a different tune.
"Hey are you okay? I saw you almost fell walking home." He said handing over the package.
"Yeah, I'm fine. I've always been the clumsy one in the family." I answered as I scribbled my messy signature across his little tablet with one hand.
"You were also carrying a juice box. You like being a little kid again?" He asked half joking. This caught me off guard. He was either being a stalker and watching my every move, or he was genuinely concerned.
"No I actually have hypoglycemia, my blood sugar was low and I was trying to boost it. That's also kinda why I fell." This caught him off guard.
"I always knew there was something off with you. I've seen you wobbling home before, I try to make sure you get home safely when I ever I see you like that. Don't think I'm being a stalker or anything. Don't worry. I got your back." That's all he said before he disembarked for the next half of his trip. Their truly are people who watch out for me when I'm walking home. Yes, it was a little bit of an awkward conversation, but I've gotten to know him more and more as he delivered more packages. So Joe, if you're reading this, Thanks for having my back it's nice to know you're watching out for me, and not in a creepy way.

Keep your head up and keep educating,
Ellie <3

No comments:

Post a Comment