Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Blank Stares, Explanations, and Hide-n-go-seek

Does anybody hide this whether it be hypoglycemia or diabetes or something completely random, do you hide it or do you openly admit it to the world and take on the questions full force? I test and correct in class, all my teachers are cool with it and don't make a big deal about it. But like yesterday I was testing in 3rd period. The kid to my left was like "YoU HAve DiabETeS?!" with eyes bugging out and everything. At that moment I wanted to crawl in a hole and wait for him to leave, but I couldn't. I explained my story and prepared myself for questions. His first was "and you have to poke yourself with a needle every day?" My answer was yes I do, three times a day sometimes more depending on some things. He looked at me blankly. "I could never do that." He said. This annoys me to no end, especially when he's like Mr. Captain of the football team and always acts all high and mighty. My answer was simply I haven't seen my mom since I left for school this morning. I want to live to see her again at the end of the day this is what I have to do to ensure that I do see her again. And I'm okay with that. He looked at  me once again with blank eyes. He did finally drop the subject, but I didn't want to. I wanted to make sure he understood that this is what I do everyday and that it's not my choice to poke myself three times a day and drink juice boxes like my life depends on it, but I will anyways because it's what I have to do. So do you hide it and kind of make people go look for it if they really want to know or am I just crazy to want to?

No comments:

Post a Comment