Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Looking Back

     This year has been such a crazy and hectic year. Between me being in and out of the ER, getting a job, school, preparing for college, and planning for my future career everything that wasn't important to that moment in time slipped through the cracks. I haven't given myself a chance to breath lately. I'm the one that's filling my schedule, I could have made the time to just sit and write or sit and think, but I didn't. So today when I had the opportunity to do so and just reflect on this past year I realized many things.
      I realized that no matter how much I think I can handle on my own, it's such a blessing to have a support group around me. Whether that's my family, my best friend, the doctors that are working on my team, they are all part of my support group. Even on my weakest days they are there cheering for me and helping take each and every step. Through the tears (and there has been more than I'd like to admit to), the smiles, and everything in between. Every single one of them has been there for me; no matter how strong I think I am I found out it's always easier going through the struggles in life with the people that care for me most.
     I realized as well that something like this doesn't have to stop me from anything. I always told myself that at the beginning when it wasn't as bad or when it was first starting to affect my life. But it's not easy to tell myself that when I'm stuck in the ER for the rest of the day because of another seizure. Or when something else has to be taken away because it's not safe for me like driving, or walking somewhere, and even laser tag. I've had to give up so many things these past few months that it's hard not to look at everything and just want to give up. Throw my hands up in the air and say "I'm done." But I realized that giving up get's you no where. If anything it makes you back track. I'm not saying that I haven't given up at all, I'm just saying that I get right back at it. I take a few minutes to myself, tell myself that in the end everything will work out and than I get back at it.
     One of the biggest things I think I learned from this year is that answers don't just fall from the sky. They don't just happen suddenly with out any explanation or information preceeding it. I learned that to help speed up the process of getting answers I can't rely on anybody but me. I have to tell my doctors everything myself, with out relying on my mom. Not that she doesn't know what she's talking about, but I can explain what's happening to me better than she can because well... it's not happening to her. Also in the same respect I've had to work with my doctors by giving them input. When we try something new or test something new I have to make sure I'm telling them everything because the more information they get the better they can help me. But also if I think of a test we haven't done yet or a test I think we should relook at I need to speak up. I can't wait until later. I have to speak up, I have to advocate for myself.
      I've realized many things this past year. Most health related, but some not. I'm excited to take what I learned this year and apply it next year and even tomorrow. Everyday I'm learning something new about myself. I'm finding another piece to the puzzle. Now I just have to put the puzzle together. Here's to a happy and healthy New Year! What new things have you learned this year that could help make next year even better?

Keep your head up and never stop learning,
Ellie <3

No comments:

Post a Comment